The Gurdwara in Edinburgh
The Sikh community development began in Edinburgh in 1958 with small family groups from relatively the same area in Punjab. Their initial stop was London from where they travelled to various part of Scotland, eventually settling in Leith in Edinburgh: Hamilton Street, Wilkie Place, Springfield Street and St Mary's Street were the main areas of residence.
A Sikh place of residence will always have a dedicated place of worship. As a community develops, their want for common place of worship becomes a need. The Sikh place of worship is known as the Gurdwara and not Temple as it is commonly mistaken. Translated, Gurdwara means 'doorway to the Guru'. The word 'Guru' means that which takes us from darkness to light. This book is a celebration of the Gurdwara in Edinburgh.
The book that was published as part of this project is available to download here (PDF, 64 MB).
Visit our photo archive on